So as Old Father Time hands over to Baby New Year, why not celebrate by tucking into a Buddha’s Delight or vegetarian haggis?
With thanks to The Vegetarian Society for this recipe!
Recipe for Vegetarian Haggis
100g onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp sunflower oil
50g carrots, very finely chopped
35g mushrooms, finely chopped
50g red lentils, washed
600ml vegetable stock
25g tinned red kidney beans mashed
35g ground peanuts
25g ground hazelnuts
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
1-1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary
generous pinch cayenne pepper
1-1/2 tsp mixed spice
Freshly ground black pepper
200g fine oatmeal
1. Lightly oil a 450g (1 lb) loaf tin.
2. In a large sauce pan, sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes, then add the carrot and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Now add the lentils and 450ml of the stock.
4. In a small bowl, blend the mashed red kidney beans with the remaining stock and add them to the pan with the nuts, soy sauce, lemon juice and seasonings. Mix well and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Add the oatmeal to the mixture, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, adding a little extra liquid if necessary.
6. Turn the mixture into a lightly oiled 1lb loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes at 190°C, 375°F or Gas Mark 5.
7. Serve with mashed parsnips and potatoes.