These are some of the tasks on this week’s to-do list
Fri 13th: Free Food Givaway / McDemo, Wheelergate 11.30
Also: … Sabs Benefit at Old Angel, Nottm
Sat 14th: Demo at South Mimms
Sun 15th: Crafts Fair at Sumac
Sat 21st: Worcester Vegan Fair
Also: … Harvey Nichols Fur Demo in Birmingham
Also: … Bring & Share Xmas Peoples Kitchen at Sumac
Dec 31st: New Years Eve
Review Paypal payments – update onto Quicken Records
Nat/Rich: Contact Victoria Martindale re council stay dog contract.
Investigate better online shop
- limitations of current shop – not clean & integrated.
… Doesnt do postage
- write specification of requirements
… limited number of items with free software
… or more items with subscription software
… grouping items into categories
… integrate with postal database
- Look into WordPress shop plug-in
… Advice from Richard, DaveB (& Chris.S)
Add Worcester Cegan Fair to Veggies Diary / create sign-up
- 90 miles, 1h 36mins – leave at 8.30am
- or 95miles, 1hr 55 if via Derby
After the event:
Pack away food & equipment after weekend events
Return hire car
Send out thanks to crew & seek feedback
Check Event Shelter repairs after Brinsley
Ask Dean/Beth where food was stored
Decide between RSPCA or Hope Pastures events
Plan next event:
Create sign-up & find crew
Check food store stock
Order / Collect samosas
Order / collect Veg
Order / collect Screaming Carrot goods
… Request up to date ingredients list
… note collection of 2kg white flour
Arrange world day for |Animals in Labs / AR Gathering planning meeting.
Mail orders to be processed for zapatista coffee, NPNT stickers, mixes, vitamins etc.
Ordered 25kg Yeast Extract, awaiting confirmation
Refill black printer toner
Install 12v solar LED lights in Shipping store
Sort out badger camp Marquee and pots&pans & return AT equipment
Order replacement marquee
Pay Active Distribution for books & coffee
Post Active Distro book delivery details online
- Work in progress at www.veggies.org.uk/campaigns/book-stall-library/
Discuss the software used by Active Distribution.
Pay Morning Foods for organic oats. Process & forward donations to Hugletts Wood Animal Sanctuary & KAALE
Fit replacement food processor part.
Replace 2oz burger former.
Return 1570g white flour to neds.
Update Event Catering Section of Veggies Directory
Publish burger press + mix + scoffer offer
Lush Derby request Veggies leaflets
- Edit info/diary flier to include Veggies/Lush connection
Buy washing up brush.
Back up computer.
Set up additional Office computer / workstation.
- Check p.a.t test for cables and cookers etc
- Check extinguishers
- Check First Aid Kits
Coordinate & update this tasks list
Send out mail orders
Look at online shops
some of the tasks achieved last week
Book Glastonbury stall
Done! See http://www.veggies.org.uk/event.php?ref=490
Pack away pasties etc
‘Veganic’ pizza cheese sample to Screaming Carrot
Place orders with Screaming Carrot, Lembas, Bombay, Homemade Bakery
4 x 20kg Veggies Sosage Mix ordered by Unicorn Grocery, Manchester
Burgers & sosages made for MaryLou Catering & dispatched
Collect 2 x 25kg organic flour from Greens Windmill
Deliver to Health Store & Screaming Carrot
Bag mix for burger press promotion.
Compile 2014 Tour Dates
Update & print 2014 Veggies Tour fliers
& Stall holder express queue fliers
Updated Vegan Cocktail Recipes at Sign Night Diary Listing
Arrange Cathy to drive crew to Brinsley Animal Rescue on Sunday
- Cake baking
- Freezer service production
- Bulk burger / sosage mixes
Maintains Kitchen equipment
Liaise with event organisers
Event suppliers: Screaming Carrot, Lembas, Bombay, L&M, Hand Made Bakery
Production Suppliers: Do-It (TVP/wholefoods), Morning Foods (oats), Dickens (breadcrumbs), Azelis (yeast extract), Catermix (gum)
Maintain events diary / website / Twitter
Maintain Computer Printer, Risograph & CPR paper stock
Accounts: Quicken, Paypal, banking, payments, annual accounts
Facilitate & forward donations received via website
Review pay pal donations
Create sign-ups for 2 events
Van management / driver
Event crew coordination / Sign-ups
- Sort out crew cab
- get spare keys – call Iveco (main dealer for spares/servicing). 0115 978 7274
… 522 Derby Road, Lenton. Nottingham NG7 2GX
- Investigate increasing to 9 seats or reduce to 6
- attend to sticky throttle
- hand brake cranked too high
- check & repair gearbox selector
- replace body filler and repaint entire van
- check & restore electrics
- install auxiliary heater
- secondary battery, charged from engine or solar panel
… for 12v lighting, phone charging, crew MP3s etc
- insulate/fix drafts
- fix door panel & window winder
- Contact Chris to install Veg oil conversion
- extend storage bay from back to crew cab;
or overhead storage above crew seating, to double as emergency sleeping bay
[contact Dean 07984 638613 to help]
Paint inside with white gloss and floor with tile paint replace air outlet hose under bonnet (driver side) Wire cages around van lights to protect from breakageDone: Thanks Maria! Fix rear door
(nb Following the £575 replacement of the clutch in July’11, it is advised that the gearbox mountings are getting worn, the brakes are ‘not very good’ and have a slight leak and there is an oil leak on engine.)
Veggies tasks Oct’13
File past event statistics, gathering catering guidance info
Recipes – Update, reprint for folder, upload to website [Contact Chrissy to help]
Create / update field kitchen resources inventory to facilitate loan to other campaigns (eg Calais Migrants, Badger Camp, Campaign Gatherings etc)
Tidy campaign resources into outbuildings
Sort archives (from 1980′s) in ‘the void’.
Dig steps & walkway in the void beyond the cellar.
Jet wash shipping store doors, ready for graffiti artist.
Build new compost bins.
Mix 20kg batches of burger & sosage mixes ready for Alley Cafe, Unicorn Grocery, Soundbites etc.
Audit The Spice Bank – Pat
Stock take & reorder books for book stall.
Veggies tasks June’11
Mass sew-in for decor drapes for marquees
Field oven pilot light + Fittings for shutter props cheers Russell
Customer ramp from pallet
Gas box cover + ratchet strap fixings
Secure gas bottle ratchets straps in van
Install chip frier on dedicated gas supplyMount step over rear light
Wall mount first aid kit, fire extinguisher and fire blanket.
Fix piano hinge on bread bag shelf
Mount shelf above/beside cooker for oil, temperature probe, miscellaneous foods etc.
Find a ‘tip bar’ to help tip & pour water from 25ltr drumsMake ‘sock’ dispensers for burger-press-plastic & compostable kitchen roll bags
Find/replace frame for 3m x 3m tent and for (fosters) blue gazebo
Create a system for loaning tents and other resources to other community caterers.
Sumac Job List, Nov 5, 2010
BOB’S WINDOW (access easy off flat roof) :
- finish primer/undercoat on frame
- 2+ top coats of white gloss on frame
- Repaint brickwork of window reveal with white masonry paint (which we have in outbuildings)
NEW BATHROOM WINDOW (easy access as above) :
- 2+ top coats of white gloss on frame
- Paint new sill and brickwork of reveal with white masonry paint
- seal new plaster around window with PVA, then paint to match existing
- light sand frame, wooden cill and surround (where needed), then paint or varnish
- light sand over new plaster, then seal with PVA and paint (or will whole bathroom be painted?!)
- lightly sand over new plaster, seal with PVA, then paint.
Veggies Jobs to do
Kitchen and Office
- Organise, document and publish herb/spice store
- Organise, standardise and update recipes on website
- Veggies computer needs complete reinstallation of both Windows and Linux
- Connect solar panels on wall when not at events, wired to 12v outlet in office
- Do you have a washing machine? We don’t!
Please take home some aprons & t-towels to launder.
Carpenter to fit shelving– done – thanks Roy!
- 4 caribinas or similar to ratchet strap gass bottles into gas cabinet.
Wing nut and/or fresh holes rilled in side of frame to secure cover
- Rebuild customer ramp with wingnut bolts for easy construction
- Install ventilation vents and chip frier
- Install solar powered fan
- Restitch strip on 10m roof
- Paint marquee poles
- Design & sew drapes and hangings for tent decor
- Roof poles needed for 3m tent
- Write up full instructions and checklists
- Identify and label storage location in outbuildings
- Encourage more groups to contribute their details for the Networking Directory.
- Print and collate new Veggies Scoffer book.
- Check book stall stock & reorder from Active Distro & Vegan Soc.
Set up catalogue for online book shop.
- Catalogue/price list/website to compile for ‘Pretty Veggies’ Toiletries project.
Sumac Maintenance Group
The following maintenance tasks are yet to be done
Beech Avenue – women’s toilet window sill, fascia board above toilets
Main roof – re-pointing to chimneys, replacing concrete tiles, possibly other things. Tom and Ben are interested, others may liaise with them.
Paint outside of building
Outstanding bathroom tasks: new window with opening light over sink, overflow pipe fitting to the toilet, replace lamp on sink area, maybe extra lighting needed and monitor dampness.
Alan’s room – get professional to inspect the roof to check for leaks. If that eliminated consider heating/ventilation.
Central heating – residents check valves are all working properly. Check/bleed radiators.
Kitchen – replace panels in kitchen door and cupboard
Sitting room windows – wooden flaps covering the shutters need finishing
(Post-meeting discussion: Workbench in outbuildings needs removing thru window space before window is glazed – URGENT)
Sumac Maintenance Jobs Feb 2010
Outstanding bathroom tasks
* Install new window with opening light over sink. Tim is coordinating this.
* There was never an overflow pipe fitted to the toilet!!!. Suggest fit one while window being done to minimise mess.
* Replace lamp on sink area – current one is bust. Do after new window installed
* When we have done these we should review whether extra lighting is needed and monitor dampness to see whether a larger or over-shower extractor is required.
The walls around the bay area and side of the chimney breast are very damp and plaster in places is breaking down.
Action. We need a professional to inspect the roof to check for leaks. If this is eliminated we need to consider heating/ventilation issues.
Actions. Check valves are all working properly (job for residents really). Check/bleed radiators.
Actions. Panels in kitchen door and cupboard need replacing.
Windows in sitting room
Actions. The wooden flaps which cover the shutters need finishing so that these close snugly to eliminate draughts.
Paint outside stairs to flat next spring.
Paint outside of building.
There are several jobs outstanding from list Andrew compiled last year. I’ll add these to this list and we can discuss plan for these.
We’ll use this page to note all those random jobs than need doing, for which we never quite seem to have the time or skills.
Can you help with these tasks?
- Paint wall at top of stairs – Do we have any paint left?
- Shelves in accessible toilet
- Locks for ladies cubicles
- Replace broken glass in toilets
- Refix male towel holder
- Painting/repair exterior ladies toilet window frame
- Bell for backdoor
- Sign for backdoor
- Fix lid clips on compost tumbler – Rivetter needed
All of us who benefit from there being a kitchen and hence yummy food at Sumac will be delighted to know that the kitchen is being completely refitted.
- Full length stainless sink/drainer/work unit
- Remove fridge (use fridge in basement)
- Replace worksurface with stainless steel
- Remove boiler or raise it in corner above of sink unit
- small handwash beside bar door
- remove coffee machine, use cafetiere
- Sales display shelf over bar door
- Drainer mounted above sink unit
- Batten/hooks to hang items.
Please let us know if you can help or advise with finding or installing any of this.
Jobs To Do – Can You Help
The Sumac Centre closed throughout July 2007 to seriously refurbish the Centre. The results of this can be see in the Indymedia report by Tash
We are looking for anyone and everyone to get involved in ongoing works listed below – whether you are highly skilled at DIY or just enthusiastic!
Further plans are afoot to demolish the derelict outbuildings and redevelop a highly eco-friendly new building there. A visioning meeting for this plan was held in September 2007. More info below.
Fix up notice boards
Fix bookshelf by computers to wall
Display shelf on pillar for Sumac event fliers
Repair extractor above computers
Get and fit curtains for bay window
Laminate and fix fire instructions (done?)
Create storage under stage
Replace broken glass in toilets
Shelves in accessible toilet to reduce dumping there and on stage
Waterless system for urinals?
Timer/PIR controlled lighting?
Air brick in bathroom
Improve layout of kitchen
Replace/extend worksurface over fridge
Replace cupboard doors
Kitchen/central heating boiler – service or replace
(boiler is actually in basement)
Replace shelves to maximise length
Display shelf over bar door
Heat vent, ideally to club room, subject to not breaking fire seal
Multiplugs in office & above work surface
Raise shelf above recycling boxes by outside door
Sort out access to ‘the void’ – steps into concrete plinth?
Roof repair, gutter cleaning, flashing
Leaking pipe at 71 Beech Ave – Andrew on the case. The water has now stopped gushing out after I contacted the Letting Agent.
Smoking shelter in the yard – (Roy offers help)
Repaint signs on gate to correct opening times
Sign near Beech Avenue entrance?
Re-paint high-vis edge markers on steps up to door
Build letter box to gate
Build / tidy / label bins for Community Composting
Fix lid clips on compost tumbler
12-volt fairy lights / porch lights off solar panel – Chan?
LED lighting in shipping container
Grey Water System
Plan is to raise serious funds to completely rebuild as a substantial new building, which might house:
* Meeting spaces
* Anarchist archive
* Sumac Office, or
* Relocate Veggies?
* Composting Project
* Veg oil recycling / biofuel project
* Residential and/or visitor accommodation
* Archiving attic (half a floor above)
* Storage basement (ramped below ground)
* Solar or turf roof (or combination)
* Straw bale construction
More ideas, including any which may have been suggested during previous visionings, should be submitted here, or in the discussion folder circulating at Sumac.
Recent maintenance has included:
* Reroofed outbuildings
* Fixed the Sebo vacuum cleaner. (It now works very well and there are spare bags in the disabled toilet. The dyson vacuum doesn’t work. Does anyone want to try and fix it or should we dispose of it?)
* Replaced the fluorescent light bulbs in the gents, ladies and above the bar.
* Replaced the blown wall light bulbs.
* Fixed the leaking ladies toilet. (The first toilet as you enter, the pipe from the cistern to the bowl had come loose, please keep and eye out for that!)
* Fixed the broken lock on the first ladies toilet.
* Fixed the ladies toilet that wasn’t flushing (The middle toilet – although it might now leak as it appears drip so will need further work later).
* Fixed a new toilet seat in the middle ladies toilet and tightened the loose one in the first toilet.
* Removed most of the junk from the disabled toilet (Lets put some shelves in there for more storage space).
* Fixed the big table so that it no longer wobbles (hoorah).
* Tidied up around the office computer and the piano.
* Purchased bolts to fix the remaining chair backs back on!
* Probably did something else too that I have forgotten.
Please let it be known if you would like to join the maintenance team, or if you can suggest any other task that would improve enjoyment of the Centre!
Tim’s To Do List!
Also as an ‘RTF’ Document
Does not yet include Veggies, void, behind bar, or kitchen areas, and in any case not definitive. Additions / corrections welcome.
l Repoint roof tiles
l Paint chimney
l Inspect flashing tape and replace where necessary
l Repair render on inside of parapet wall (Gladstone side)
l Repoint chimneys and other places as needed
l PERIODICALLY clean gullies, gutters, and flat roof of debris
(II) EXTERIOR – BEECH AVE. SIDE
l Replace broken windows
l Patch / paint windowsill
l Repaint fascia board
l Cover and secure exposed phone wiring
l Scrape moss off foot of wall
l Consider removing metal gate?
l Make good and paint lobby (use masonry paint)
l Fit architrave around exterior door and paint
l Clean and stain / varnish weatherboard on door
ABOVE FLAT ROOF
l Extend overflow pipe away from wall
l Mortar around pipes in wall
l Inspect brickwork and repoint where necessary
l Fit permanent waste pipe for boiler overflow
(III) EXTERIOR – GLADSTONE ST. SIDE
n Repair cracked render by door
n Patch tyrolean render where necessary
n Fill gap at drain by steps with mortar
n Paint underside of windowsills with white exterior gloss
n Re-connect drainpipe to water-butt
n Put platform / table over bar compressor
l Repair / rebuild brick wall in SE corner and tie to sandstone wall
l Oil gate
l Make and hang swinging sign by gate
l Build cover (old table?) for bar compressor
l Mend leaking hose
l Tidy yard and remove junk
l Fit airbrick or second fan above sink; scrape off mould, apply anti-fungal wash, re-paint
l Fit new light switch
l Stop leak under shower tray
l Refix shower wastepipe to increase fall
l Seal top of tiled splashback behind basin with silicone
l Repair shower bracket
l Complete skirting and boxwork
l Clean fans & heater
l Clean and repaint
l Check boiler settings and overflow (NB. valve on overflow pipe below sink must be kept closed)
l Unblock sink
l Window frame may need patching, and wood near sink needs protecting
l Maintain cupboard doors and fit handles
l Clean and repair fan
l Clear and clean
l Fit lino in lobby by kitchen door
l Repair hole in floor, by lifting loose floorboards, and refixing supporting batten to side of joist with coachscrews or bolts
l Fit soft self-closer to door
l Fix and fill skirting, then paint
l Check emergency lighting
l Paint or varnish doors and doorframes
SMALL BEDROOM (GLADSTONE ST. SIDE)
l Check dampness under window
LONG BEDROOM (BEECH AVE. SIDE)
l Maintain window and fit window lock
LARGE BEDROOM (BEECH AVE. SIDE)
l Clear mould off wall and repaint (and consider fitting airbrick?)
l Plaster partition wall
l Fix sash window (and consider replacing safety glass)
l Fit window lock
l Clear rotten plaster above window bay and replaster; check roof above for leaks first
l Replace broken window pane
l Reputty and repaint all windows. (Replace in longer term when funds available)
l Patch hole in floor (under speaker)
l Paint ceiling and skirting
l Fit outside window on small circular window and paint in between
STAIRCASE BETWEEN 1st & GROUND FLOOR
l Repair and cover balustrade at top of flight
(VI) MAIN GROUND FLOOR
BEECH AVE. LOBBY
n Fit draught excluder to letterbox
n Fit length of doorstop batten to fill gap, prime and paint to match
n Prime and repaint bare window frames
n Repair lock on first cubicle
n Investigate damp above door and on lower wall opposite washbasin; make good and repaint when resolved
n Unblock righthand urinal
n Repair lock on second cubicle
n Replace toilet seat on second cubicle
n Patch plaster near entrance door, prime and repaint
n Repaint bare patches on ceiling near stage
n Fit protective corner moulding to boxwork on floor near bar hatch
n Fit window boards and finish trim carpentry to smaller bay window (NB. Timber for this is at Neds)
n Fit window vents (which we have) to bay windows
n Reglue peeling wallpaper
GLADSTONE ST. LOBBY
n Fit length of doorstop batten to fill gap, paint and prime to match
n Make good and paint door surround (perhaps cover with architrave?)
(VI) BAR CELLAR
n Fit threshold strip
n Fit hooks to wall (for hanging spears during line cleaning)
n Paint sink stand with wood preserver