The ultimate veggie burger
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 250g/9oz firm tofu, finely chopped
- 1 cooked beetroot (not in vinegar), peeled, grated
- 150g/5½oz fried mushrooms, drained
- 1 carrot, peeled, grated
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, crushed
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped kidney beans
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 burger buns
- 6 tbsp ready-made mayonnaise (optional)
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 2-3 gherkins, sliced
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a pan over a medium-low heat and fry the onions for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, or until they are softened and golden-brown.
- In a bowl, mix together the cooked onions, tofu, beetroot, mushrooms, carrots, smoked paprika, garlic, thyme and kidney beans. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- With damp hands, divide the mixture into approximately 150g/5oz portions and shape into patties.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and fry the patties for 3-4 minutes on both sides, or until golden-brown. Heat a griddle pan until smoking, then add the patties and fry for a further 1-2 minutes on both sides, or until there are deep char lines on both sides.
- To serve, place the patties into burger buns and arrange over the toppings of your choice.