There is work in progress to test these proposed Schools Recipes (for 20 people).
You might like to try them yourself and let us know how you get on.
All ingredients are in grams, so that the recipes can be run through nutritional analysis software. You might use your own intitiative to understand that, for example, 3g dried Bay leaf is about 1 leaf!
Aduki Bean Crumble
Aduki beans, dried, boiled in unsalted water 1130g
Rapeseed oil 90g
Onions, raw 2400g
Carrots, raw 1400g7
Courgette, raw 1000g
Rosemary, dried 10g
Soy sauce 50g
Margarine, soft, vegetable fat only 1000g
Wheat flour, wholemeal 1130g
1)Boil aduki beans, then drain.
2)Sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, carrot and courgette and sauté for a further 3-4 minutes. Add the sage or rosemary, soya sauce and drained beans to the saucepan and stir well. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3)Rub the margarine into the flour until it resemble breadcrumbs. Stir in the sesame seeds. Season to taste.
4)Put the bean mixture into a greased baking dish and cover with the crumble mixture. Bake at 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 for 30 minutes.
Carrots, raw 450g
Potatoes, raw 450g
Onions, raw 500g
Rapeseed oil 41.4g
Broad beans, frozen, boiled in unsalted water 400g
Red kidney beans, canned, re-heated, drained 400g
Spring greens, raw 140g
Stock cubes, vegetable 8g
Bay leaf, dried 3g
Oregano, dried, ground 4g
Tomatoes, canned, whole contents 600g
Butter beans, dried, boiled in unsalted water 400g
1) Chop onion and dice potato and carrots.
2) Use the stock cubes to make 2.8 litres of vegetable stock
3) Sauté in oil for a few minutes. Add the potato, carrot, tomatoes, oregano, bay leaf and vegetable stock Mix the cornflour with 2 tbsp water.
4) Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the spring greens, drained mixed beans, and the cornflour mixture. Add more water if required.
Butter Bean and Mushroom Stroganoff
Butter beans, dried, boiled in unsalted water 1000g
Garlic, raw 35g
Onions, raw 750g
Rapeseed oil 115g
Mushrooms, raw 600g
Wheat flour, white, plain 300g
Stock cubes, vegetable 20g
Mixed herbs, dried 15g
Parsley, fresh 30g
1) Use stock cubes to make 5 litres of stock.
2) Fry the onion, garlic, mushrooms, pepper and other veggies in oil until soft.
3) Stir in flour and cook for one minute.
4) Remove from heat and stir in stock gradually to avoid lumps. Add seasoning
5) Add butter beans. Return to a low heat and stir while sauce thickens.
Chilli Tortilla Wraps
Vegetable oil, blended, average 110.4g
Peppers, capsicum, red, raw 640g
Peppers, capsicum, green, raw 480g
Onions, raw 240g
Mushrooms, raw 1000g
Chilli sauce 700g
Soya mince, granules 500g
Tortillas, made with wheat flour 1100g
Red kidney beans, dried, boiled in unsalted water 1000g
1) Make up the soya mince according to instructions.
2) Heat kidney beans
3) Warm the tortilla wraps following the packet instructions.
4) In the meantime, deseed the peppers and slice into thin strips.
5) Heat oil and sauté onion until softened.
Add mince, kidney beans, mushrooms, peppers and water and simmer until mushrooms and peppers are cooked. Still in chilli sauce.
Curly Kale and Chick Pea Curry
Curly kale, raw 1300g
Chick peas, whole, dried, boiled in unsalted water 4000g
Tomatoes, canned, whole contents 4000g
Curry powder 10g
Garlic, raw 30g
Onions, raw 1000g
Rapeseed oil 180g
1) Chop onion, tomatoes and kale. Crush garlic cloves.
2) Sauté onion in oil until it is light brown. Add the garlic and curry powder and cook for a further minute.
3) Add the tomatoes, drained chick peas and kale. Bring to the boil and cook for 10-20 minutes until the kale has softened.
Onions, raw 600g
Garlic, raw 8g
Celery, raw 12g
Olive oil 96g
Lentils, green and brown, whole, dried, raw 540g
Tomatoes, canned, whole contents 1330g
Tomato puree 160g
Marjoram, dried 8g
Pepper, black 5g
Aubergine, raw 360g
Courgette, raw 264g
Peppers, capsicum, red, raw 212g
Peppers, capsicum, yellow, raw 212g
Mushrooms, common, raw 532g
Onions, raw 96g
1) Chop the onions, crush the garlic cloves, coarsely grate the carrots, chop the celery sticks
2) In a large saucepan, fry the onion, garlic, carrots and celery in the oil until they are soft.
3) Add the lentils, tomatoes, tomato purée, stock, marjorajm and seasoning.
4) Bring the mixture to the boil then partially cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes until thick and soft.
5) Chop the remaining vegetables into bite sized pi, mix them together, coat them in olive oil and put into a dish in the oven on high heat for 20 minutes.
6) Make a white sauce from the flour, margarine and soya milk.
7) Now assemble into layers. Start with one layer of roast vegetables, then cover it in the lentil sauce, cover with lasagne sheets, then spread white sauce over. Then, add more roast vegetables, more lentil sauce, and another layer of lasagne sheets. Top off with white sauce.
8) Cook the lasagne into the oven on a medium heat for about 30 minutes.
Lentil Bolognese Sauce
Garlic, raw 30g
Onions, raw 750g
Carrots, old, 800g
Celery, raw 300g
Olive oil 138g
Lentils, green and brown, whole, dried, boiled in salted water 700g
Tomatoes, canned, whole contents 2000g
Tomato puree 200g
Stock cubes, vegetable 28g
Marjoram, dried 5g
Pepper, black 1g
1) Use stock cubes and water to make up 2.4 litres of stock.
2) Coarsely grate the carrot, chop the celery into pieces, crush the garlic cloves.
3) In a large saucepan, fry the onion, garlic, carrots and celeery in the oil for about 5 minutes until they are soft.
4) Add the lentils, tomatoes, tomato purée, stock, marjoram and pepper.
5) Bring the mixture to a boil then partially cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes until thick and soft.
Mediterranean lentil soup
Pepper, black 8g
Onions, raw 900g
Carrots, raw 900g
Chilli powder 7.8g
Mixed herbs, dried 60g
Tomatoes, canned, whole contents 1600g
Lentils, red, split, dried, raw 280g
1) Chop onions and carrots. Add to a pan with chilli powder and mixed herbs and simmer for ten minutes.
2) Add the tomatoes, the lentils and the mixed herbs. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat, cover and then simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
3) Liquidise, return to the pan, then add more water if desired. Heat add pepper, stirring well, then serve.
Lentils, dried, raw 300g
Yeast extract 10g
Tomatoes, canned, whole contents 1200g
Carrots, raw 700g
Onions, raw 350g
Rapeseed oil 35g
Sage, dried, ground 6g
Sweetcorn, kernels, raw 350g
Butter beans, canned, drained 130g
Potatoes, raw 3400g
Rapeseed oil 220g
Black pepper 4g
1) Chop onions, dice carrots, chop tomatoes, cut the potato into pieces.
2) Sauté the onion in oil until it starts to brown. Add the lentils and water and cook for 25 minutes.
3) Add the carrot, tomatoes, sage and yeast extract. Cook for 20 minutes or until the carrot is just cooked.
4) Mix in the sweetcorn and butter beans. Place in an oven-proof dish and leave to stand for at least ten minutes.
5) Meanwhile, boil the potato, then mash with rapeseed oil. Season to taste. Place on top of the lentil mixture, smoothing down with a fork. Bake at 200°C/ 400F/gas mark 6 for 40minutes or until the top is golden.
Spiced Apple Cake
Apples, cooking, raw, peeled 900g
Soft, vegan margarine 230g
White sugar 230g
Bicarbonate of soda 16g
Wholemeal flour 450g
Ground cinnamon 3g
Ground ginger 4g
Tomato purée 15g
Brown rice (boiled) 340g
Yeast extract 27g
Garlic, raw 9g
Onions, raw 285g
Rapeseed oil 27.6g
Vegetable stock cubes 7g
Peppers, capsicum, red, raw 1600g
Carrots, raw 225g
Frozen peas 140g
Dried lentils, cooked in salted water 285g
1) Use stock cubes to make vegetable stock.
2) Slice the top off the peppers.
Remove the cacore of pith and seeds. Set aside.
3) Sauté the onion in oil until it starts to brown.
Add the garlic and cook gently for a minute or so.
Remove from the heat and add the carrot, peas, rice and tomato purée.
Mix well and if necessary add a little water to achieve a moist consistency.
4) Spoon the mixture into the peppers. Place the tops on the peppers.
5) Transfer the stuffed peppers to a shallow oven proof dish.
Pour the vegetable stock into the dish around the peppers.
Bake for 35 minutes at 200°C/ 400F
Black pepper 1g
Soy sauce 40g
Sunflower seeds 200g
Pumpkin seeds 200g
Wholemeal bread, average 448g
Garlic powder 10g
Thyme, dried, ground 4g
Stock cubes, vegetable 30g
Yeast extract 18g
Rapeseed oil 80g
1) Blend the sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, breadcrumbs, pepper, garlic, thyme and stock cubes in a food processor, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
2) Blend the tofu, soy sauce and yeast extract, then add to the dry mix and mix well with your hands.
3) Shape the burgers and fry in the oil.
Tomato purée 100g
Soy sauce 50g
Rapeseed oil 60g
Mustard powder 15g
Shallots, raw 1000g
New potatoes, boiled in unsalted water 1600g
Peppers, capsicum, red 800g
Mushrooms, raw 400g
1) Mix the tomato purée, soy sauce and half the oil to make a glaze.
2)Thread the tofu and vegetables on to kebab skewars.
3) Brush with the rest of the oil and grill for three minutes on each side.
4) Brush with the glaze and grill for an additional two minutes on each side, until caramelised.