VEGGIES CATERING CAMPAIGN (Nottingham) Ltd
245 Gladstone Street, Nottingham NG7 6HX . Tel: 0845 458 9595
It is a legal requirement that caterers should identify all stages of their operation that might involve risks to food hygiene, or to the health and safety of employees or customers. Caterers should then implement working practices to minimise such risks.
The main risks associated with Veggies operations are assessed as follows:
- Key members of Veggies Crew undertake regular Food Hygiene Training and supervise those occasional crew members who have not yet received formal training.
- Close attention is paid to cleanliness of the catering environment and that of the workers.
- A ready supply of hot water and appropriate cleaning materials are always available.
- Stock rotation is followed to maintain freshness of supplies.
- Working practices are designed to operate in a safe, clean and efficient manner.
- To reduce risk of contamination, fresh foods are prepared in quantities appropriate for the expected level of trade.
Health and Safety
At most outdoor events propane or butane gas is used.
To minimise risks:
- Metal pipework is installed wherever possible
- Flexible hose is of an approved standard and replaced every 5 years.
- All connections are checked as secure using appropriate clips.
- Equipment is inspected each year by a qualified gas inspector.
All Veggies electrical systems are SELV (typically 12V DC power rails) so represent negligible electric shock risk.
The following other risks have been identified and countered:
Risk: Battery short circuit overheating/explosion risk.
Countermeasures: Fuses fitted, as close to battery terminals as possible.
- Risk: Solar panels made of glass could be smashed and then yield sharp edges.
Countermeasures: Solar panels installed in locations that are inaccessible to any but trusted crew (e.g. on roof of trailer).
- Risk: Trailing wire trip hazards.
Countermeasures: Wires where possible do not cross gangways. Where this is not practical, anti-trip measures such as gaffer tape and plastic mats deployed.
Cuts and burns:
- Crew are instructed in safe handling of knives and care is taken in the vicinity of boiling water.
- Sufficient supplies of blue plasters and burn / scald treatment is carried for rare incidents or accidents.
- Structures are designed to be safety constructed.
- Hot surfaces are positioned away from the public.
- Full insurance cover is maintained.
- Pests are attracted by easy availability of food.
- Ensure there is nothing to tempt them into the food premises or surrounding area.
This overview is extracted from the detailed Risk Assessment, Food Hygiene and Health & Safety Training Document that all Veggies workers use on a day to day basis.
This page has the following sub pages: