Sunday 8th November 2015 to Monday 9th November
Social Centres Gathering
8th November 2015
A weekend of talks and skill shares for anyone interested in or involved in autonomous social centres and spaces
Add this group or find similar groups in Veggies Directory
A call out to all social centre activists and interested people in the UK. Please forward widely.
*"Crash accommodation is available for people wanting to travel down on the Saturday or stay Sunday night"*
The following is taken from the call-out for a similar gathering in 2005:
"Across Britain, people are buying, renting or squatting disused, empty buildings in city and town centres and turning them into vibrant political and residential spaces run by volunteers such as ‘social centres’, 'infoshops', and 'resource centres'. Inspired by many influences, from anarchist principles of mutual aid and self-management to Italian autonomism, these spaces often provide free or cheap food, regular film and gig nights, political meeting spaces, libraries, free shops and independent media groups.
Why have these spaces emerged? What can they achieve? Are they activist ghettoes, radical community centres or something else? We will show films and clips from across Europe about the rise and experience of social centres and the like, and invite activists from across the UK’s social, resource and radical info-centres are invited to come and share their experiences and ambitions.
* Why social centres and other kinds of autonomous spaces?
* What are our experiences so far?
* Where next for these spaces?
* How can we work together? e.g. do we need a national network or website?
Here is the Workshops longlist from the November 2014 Gathering, held at Nottingham's Sumac Centre:
– Safer spaces
– Setting up social centres
– Conflict resolution
– Getting started / Problems and pitfalls when starting a social centre
– Making SCs in unusual places
– What is the Social Centres Network, how can it work best today and what decisions can it take?
– How can we support people in cities where there isn’t a Social Centre or where a Social Centre is struggling to stay open.
– What possibilities and advantages might there be in a European network of Social Centres or twinning our Social Centres?
– What makes a Social Centre a social centre? Can we know who we include and who we don’t in our network?
– What could the networks involvement be in solving different disputes that may arise?
– Developing connections between Scs
– Issues around maintaining a SC (visioning, decision making)
– Social centres and the neighbourhood / engagement or colonization?
On Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings, the Centre becomes the Forest Fields Social Club (FFCS a.k.a Sumac Bar) from 7.30. The FFSC is a members club, but membership is easy and guests are welcome. For gigs and fundraising benefits, guests can pay at the door and members are invited to make a donation.
Accessible entrance at back door at 73 Beech Avenue . Full directions: http://www.veggies.org.uk/sumac/map.html
Postcode: NG7 6HX . Mapping websites: http://maps.google.co.uk . http://www.streetmap.co.uk . http://www.multimap.com (photo)
Public Transport details may be available from http://www.traveline.org.uk/
Concerned about carbon emmisions? click here
-admin- ... hitcount from www.digits.com: - thanks for helping us to a half million hits!