php programming wish list
Veggies Diary system has been in constant (but intermittent) development since December 2004 and has since become the source for several interrelated diaries, allowing events to appear on several listings with customised formatting.
Options to view the Calendar
- Original Animal Rights Calendar
Shows all events, but includes only one listing of weekly events, which are automatically rolled forward, and monthly events rolled forward manually.
- Sumac/Veggies Diary
Events at Sumac or the wider Nottm campaign community.
– includes option for events held at the Sumac Centre
- Vegan Outreach Diary
Events by vegan campaigners all over UK.
Current Month – 30 days of eventsno longer needed
A faster default page for the AR Calendar, with an option to output all events.
- Agenda View of all dates on Sumac/Veggies Diary or the AR Calendar
Headers are linked to extended details
To Do – Pop-up to show brief details when mouse rollsover.
To Do – A QuckList version showing Day/Date, EventHeader and EventView Link all on single line, suitable to cut&paste into an email message, forum or newswire.
Extended details for individual event. Includes direction finder linked to map of venue.
For Sumac events travel info, map & other details are automatically added.
Event details suitable to print off as a poster (even better with scaled printing from Firefox print preview). Layout is also suitable to cut & paste into email messages etc.
- Regular Events
Manually compiled listing of regular & ongoing AR campaigns. (The other listings only show one occurrence of regular events). There is also a listing of Regular Events at Sumac
- GroupList – alphabetical by group (for AR Calendar).
- Announcements Email List
Riseup email group for announcements. Also SumacNews List
Identifies events added or updated on AR Calendar in last month.
- Sumac Agenda listing – for pasting into NewsList email.
- AR text-only list – suitable for pasting into email message.
- CalendarView – On standard calendar grid layout, eg:GreenNet
- PosterView. Diary listing printable as flier see this pdf example.
- PlanningList – Quick List, but with all occurrences of weekly/monthly events.
- Search for any group or keyword.
- Email-A-Friend button
and option to receive a reminder by email before a selected event
- Embedded code to embed listing of selected events onto external websites, such as AnimalRights UK
- EventComments – a planning tool for groups and individuals to add their own travel plans, local contact info etc into a national event (eg Facebook!)
- Venue & organising group database – details of contributing groups and venue info to be automatically linked into diary listings
Most references to events or groups can be found by use of the Search Box on Veggies Home Page
Note that the system’s mysql database & php programming has also been used to produce one-off web pages for non-calendar information indexed here
Work in progress
Experienced PHP programmers are invited to send advice on the tasks marked * to email@example.com.
Import remaining events from old ARCalendar for May – December set up email addresses to be spam-filtered link graphics to their original source List from today’s date, allowing ongoing events, eg all-month Fix ‘list from’ date to use ‘current_date’ function Program link to additional page or pop-up for extended event info. Circulate subscribers to request comments on work so far Refine contact details Program end date for events running for more than 1 day Start-to-End dates in header on PrintView for month-long events Fix monthly link menu Design format for unconfirmed events Link headers to PrintView page Link external event links, and show address, in PrintView Include EventRepetition details for regular events Repeat details for Annual events on PrintView header Fix WebAddress link to accept ‘www’ as well as ‘http’ Regular events header only, linked to full details on PrintView Move to final location:www.veggies.org.uk/arc.php Optimise code for faster loading Feedback form, for user feedback on layout, listing preferences and gliches. Redesign ‘add-a-date’ form
- Program data input from ‘add-a-date’ form
Flag events added or amended since last ArcNews calendar ‘Next 30-days’ default listing, with options for ‘FullList’ and ‘QuickList’
- * Roll forward repeated events –
done for weekly & annual events,
date function needed for monthly events
Advise subscribers to update bookmarks
- Edit, Print & ‘Email to a friend’ buttons on PrintView (eg:Covance)
- Add facility to ‘comment on this event’
- Confirmation email to submitting user and to organising group
- * Set up user registration for input directly to calendar
- * Learn about Null / Not Null data types
- * Find out about default settings, eg for ImageSize & Location
- Listing option for multiple inclusion of regular events
- Program the print options (listed in section above)
- Convert Local Group Meetings section to interactive format.
- Convert Regular Events section to interactive format.
- Program map links from post-code
- * Set up open access to php code
- * Find out how to create ‘a href’ links from email and www addresses in text fields
- * Find plug-in calendar to click and insert required dates
- Transfer subscribers mailing list to php/mySQL, with option for ‘all announcements’, ‘selected announcement’ or by-weekly digest
- Automate dispatch of subscriber announcements
Set up hit counter & check old one.Check GreenNet stats for visits to old calendar.
- SecureGiving facility for donations to running costs.
- Refine data format to facilitate interchange with other campaign calendars.
Compilers of other calendars – please get in touch
- Log browser and operating system info for alternative browser coding.
- * Reprogram as necessary to fix features that do not work with other browsers from Firefox, eg Explorer, Chrome, Opera.
- Learn to do all the above, then start all over to set up Animal Contacts Directory as a dynamic website database, in time for the Spring 2005 publication date of the next 5000 entry, 200 page directory!!
- Link & import contact details from Animal Contacts Directory, when available.