Adapted from recipe by Ronny - Cake Scoffer author & VeggiesVolunteer
(recipe code 9886)
Note: level tsp – 5ml; dessert spoon - 10ml; tablespoon – 15ml; cup – 8 floz / 240ml
For 40cm x 26cm mess tin - 24 generous portions
- 300g / 3cups organic white flour (Doves Farm or from Greens Windmill)
- 10g / 2tsp baking powder
- 120g / 0.5 cup / 130ml organic sunflower margarine (Suma)
- 450g / 4.5 cup organic wholemeal flour (Dove's Farm or Greens Windmill)
- 225g / 1.2 cup organic demerara sugar
- 20g / 3 tsp baking powder
- 120g / 1.5 cup organic ground almonds
- 280ml / 250g organic sunflower oil
- 450ml / 450g water
- 280g jar Meridian organic raspberry spread
Water Icing / cherries:
- 320g / 1.5 cup organic icing sugar
- approx 40ml water
- 12 (60g) natural glace cherries, halved
- Either use shop bought shortcrust pastry or make your own in the usual way.
- Roll out pastry and line a greased pie dish. Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake for 20 mins at 190C (gas#5). Allow to cool.
- Spread fruit spread on top of the pastry base.
- Mix the dry sponge ingredients together.
- Add water & oil and mix again.
- Pour sponge mix over the jammy pastry base.
- Bake at 190C (gas#5) for 35 mins.
- Cool and top off with icing and halved cherries
The DIY Way . . . This original recipe makes 8 - 10 slices
1 oz = 28g
- 8 oz sifted self-raising flour
- 2 oz flaked almonds (half inside and half on top)
- 6 oz sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 floz vegetable oil
- 7 floz water
- Strawberry spread
for the pastry:
- 250g self-raising flour
- 125g margarine
The Easy Way:
Buy one from Veggies at many good demos - see VeggiesEvents Diary for details.
or visit Screaming Carrot, 42 Foxhall Road, Forest Fields, Nottingham's vegan/vegetarian bakery.
For more yummy cake recipies see Ronny's 'Cake Scoffer', available from Veggies for £1.50 inc p&p. (Click donation button to buy via PayPal):