Chiapas in Mexico produces one of the best coffees in the world, mainly grown in the mountains. Coffee is Mexico’s main export. Mexico is in fact the world’s fourth largest producer of coffee in the world, and the main producer of organic coffee.
In Mexico more than 3 million people depend on the production of coffee and on its exportation. 91.7% are small producers with less than five hectares of land, and more than 60% of these are indigenous peoples. The other 8.3% own a number of enormously extended estates that are the fruits of occupations of indigenous lands; these occupations have been promoted and supported by the government.
The EZLN commonly known as the Zapatistas has developed social and political projects: building, from the bottom up, a society where the Maya people can enjoy autonomy, safeguarding their own idioms and culture, and organising their own access to education, health, and land, through forms of direct democracy.
One of these projects is the creation of small cooperatives that produce the “Cafe Rebelde” or “Zapatista coffee”. The organisation of these cooperatives has strengthened and improved access to the land and the quality of life overall. …more…
Direct trade: Chiapas to Nottingham via Hamburg
Where appropriate Veggies therefore uses and sells Zapatista coffee that we get from Active Distribution, who in turn buy it from Café Libertad in Hamburg. Café Libertad deal directly with the cooperatives in Mexico, as an act of solidarity with the indigenous peoples struggle in Chiapas Mexico and also because it tastes so damn good!
Note that at some events, particularly outdoors, we also use fair trade organic coffee from Cafe Direct.
Zapatista Coffee by mail order (UK Only)
- Click button to order via Paypal (accepts cards).
- 1 x 250g ground coffee – £4.50 + £2.90 p&p :
- Additional bag ground coffee: £4.50 (no additional postage after you have ordered your first bag above) :
- 500 bag Coffee Beans – £8.50 + £2.90 p&p :
- Postage rates are for the UK as at May 2017.
Please allow two weeks for delivery if we are out at events away from our Nottingham base. Or arrange collection at one of the many events on our diary.
Overseas (outside UK)
Deliveries to UK only. Overseas by special arrangement
- We may have to decline orders that cannot be economically sent overseas – contact us to discuss.
- We will check the additional cost of sending overseas, and invite an additional donation towards the cost.
- You should check the cost of getting it from Cafe Libertad in Hamburg. As they bring it direct from Chiapas to distribute to the UK, their base price €3.30 is cheaper than our £4.50, which means that they may be able to send it to you more cost effectively, subject to their postage costs. See their prices …here…
- Addition contribution towards postage costs :
- To discuss delivery costs contact us
ZAPATISTA COFFEE DOSSIER
The dossier on the Zapatista Coffee has been printed on the Italian
magazine “A Rivista Anarchica”.
You can find the English version online
Chiapas / Shall we have a nice coffee (zapatista)?
Chiapas / 1. Zapatista Coffee
Chiapas / 2. Where and how coffee is produced
Chiapas / 3. Zapatista Cooperatives
Chiapas / 4. Cafe Libertad collective eG
Chiapas / 5. Tasting Coffee Zapatista
Chiapas / 6. Where to find Zapatista Coffee in the world
Chiapas / 7. Anarchism, Zapatistas and Global Solidarity
See also www.europazapatista.org