Kirkby Pet Welfare is a small animal shelter attempting to tackle the desperate task of rescuing and re-homing unwanted rabbits, hamsters and other small rodents, often bred indiscriminately by the pet trade.
Nottingham Animal Rights seeks volunteers for regular workdays. It is really rewarding work, because we can all do a little to make a big difference. The dogs at Pet Welfare are only walked once or twice a week so this is an easy and fun job that can make a positive impact on their lives. Transport may be available from Beeston or Nottingham – call Lee on 07599 282851.
The shelter is based on Celia’s back yard. There are more than 130 hutches of all different shapes and sizes, rabbit runs, a chicken pen, small animal shed and various sheds for storage.
Could you offer us a few hours of your time to help with DIY, feeding or cleaning?
We are a small shelter who rely totally on volunteers, and we are in desperate need of more help. You don’t need any special skills, just a great love of caring for animals. Whatever time you can offer, we won’t say no! It is really rewarding work, because we can all do a little to make a big difference to these animals lives.
A delightful dish is cooked and served at the Sumac Cafe by a different volunteer team each Saturday. Food is served at 7pm until all gone. The Forest Fields Social Club Bar follows from 7.30.
Food at Sumac is vegan, so is suitable for all diets and all cultures (call to ensure gluten free or other special options).
People’s Kitchen provides a great opportunity for people wishing to show off their cooking skills (whether personally vegan or not) or for novice cooks seeking an opportunity to learn more. Please contact us for more details.
The Sumac Centre is home of Veggies Catering Campaign, so other vegan campaigners are often around for support and information.
Nottingham Green Festival is organised by grass routes community based volunteers, with no statutory funding. The ethical standards and environmental / human / animal rights ethos of the event are long established, having evolved from the pre-history of the Nottingham Peace Festival from which it has grown.
Nottingham’s own Green Festival provides the place for the whole family to learn, explore and try the latest in everything environmentally friendly and ethical, whilst also having lots of fun in the beautiful setting of the Arboretum Park.
Veggies has catered and campaigned at the Green Festival, and the Peace Festival before it, for our entire 33 year history. We were pleased now to be joined by 10 other vegan caterers and other artisan food producers, supporting the events’ new vegan ethos and building on a thirty+ year meat-free policy.
The Green Festival continues to break all records in terms of visitors & stalls.
This will be the 26th Nottingham Green Festival and with your support it will be even bigger & better in 2018.
You are therefore encouraged to support the regular fundraising events and join in with the planning group meetings.
Find full details at www.nottmgreenfest.org.uk/, find us on facebook and follow us on twitter.
The hackspace – a workshop and coworking space for the East Midlands, located close to the centre of Nottingham. It’s a place for makers and creatives to meet, learn, swap skills, and work on projects. It is run on a non-profit basis to serve your creative interests as a member.
Whether those are craft, electronics, woodwork, metalwork, knitting, programming, bike maintenance, prototyping, gadget modification, or even robotics, we have the kind of tools you don’t generally have room for at home, and the hackspace is constantly growing.
We hold open nights every Wednesday from 18:30
Our Summer open day in 2018 will be held on Sunday 12th August. More details to follow.
Sadly, deaths and serious injuries to dogs running on the tracks are relatively common, and the existence of a major track like Nottingham is responsible for the putting to death of about 500 greyhounds every year.
According to a Guardian article: “Greyhound tracks are closing and the industry isn’t doing enough to care for the thousands of dogs who face an uncertain fate”
Demo at 6.30pm at Daleside Road Roundabout, (the entrance to Nottingham Greyhound Stadium).
Probably every 2 weeks, but call 07703 031667 to confirm.
Radical Routes May 2018 Spring Gathering – possibly at Talamh, Scotland.
Radical Routes is a network of radical housing co-ops, workers co-ops and social centres, whose members are committed to working for positive social change. Nottingham members include Sumac Centre, Neds Housing Co-op, Rhizome Housing Co-op and Veggies Catering Campaign (associate members).
Four times a year, the member co-ops get together at weekend events which have a social function, but which are also the places at which all important decisions are taken. They are open meetings and anyone is welcome to attend.
The Radical Routes quarterly gatherings:
Winter in February -:- Spring in May; -:- Summer in August -:- Autumn in November.
More on Radical Routes on Veggies Website,
including publications for sale.
Join us in the courtyard at Primary on the second Sunday of every month for great local food, independent traders, arts, crafts and more!
Nottingham Viva! Vegan Festival – 12th May 2018
10.30am – 5.00pm, Nottingham Conference Centre, Burton St, Nottingham NG1 4BU
Nottingham Viva! Vegan Festival is returning for the second time for an even bigger festival on Saturday 12th May 2018 at Nottingham Conference Centre from 10:30am – 5:00pm. The festival will feature 120+ vegan stalls including 10 world food caterers, free samples, clothing, gifts, accessories, charity memorabilia and much more.
There will also be all day live cookery demos and talks and workshops offering free nutritional advice and highlighting the very best aspects about living without animal products.
Tickets are £3 payable on the day on the door or £13 to include fast track entry and a goody bag full of products, samples, discounts and offers available in advance from email@example.com
First Saturday Every Month
Nottingham’s Sneinton Market is a community based local social enterprise. A resource for all the communities in Sneinton, St.Ann’s and the Creative Quarter.
Sneinton Vegan Market is now the established event to regularly celebrate and showcase great tasting vegan food and drink, crafts, animal rescues & other products/services.It is wonderful to see so many committed people in what is a growing movement.
Come join us on the first Saturday of each month for loads of vegan loveliness.
Sneinton Market say:
“We are looking for VEGAN food traders and all kinds of cruelty free cosmetics, clothing, awareness raising, workshops. Product list must be approved by the market team to ensure the brief is met.”
If you are interested in supporting this market please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Traders at the Sneinton Vegan Market have included:
- A Whole Life A Vegan shop catering for all your daily needs. (Mansfield)
- Amala Living Food Raw & cooked vegan foods for markets, events, private catering.
- Bake Off and Pie – purveyors of fine breads & pastries for the good people of Nottingham
- Beccy’s Global Kitchen : Vegetarian and vegan pop-up cafe :
- Besos Food & Drinks
- Black Star Printshop Custom printed vegan ethical T-shirts, Tote Bags and patches
- Blend – Coffee Lounge at Avenue C, Sneinton Market
- Blue Barrel Cider – a traditional cider from Sherwood & Summerwood Community Garden
- Brinsley Animal Rescue Animal Rescue run on vegan principles
- Carib Vegan Cooking
- Clemie’s Vegan Cakes
- The Coffee Cube Company
- Crocus Cafe – vegan and vegetarian community cafe at 18 Lenton Boulevard, NG7 2ES
- The Crop Club – supporting people to grow their own food at home in small spaces
- Curry On Cooking
- Deirdre Westwood Tropic Skin Care Ambassador
- Dr Ice
- Elia Foods
- Flavors of Africa – Authentic Nigerian Cuisine from Wellingborough (vegetarian, vegan & chicken/turkey)
- For Precious Life
- Free Spirit Luxury Handcrafted Chocolate Creations & Baked Treats
- Freshly Spiced
- The Gedling Herbalist (Anke Wellhausen BSc (Hons) MNIMH)
- Green Revolution vegan catering
- Greens Vegan Catering
- Good Mood Food catering by Rezi Zimsek
- Hannah Edge – Nourish Yoga Glow
- For Precious LifeGourmet natural food for vibrant life. Vegan, raw, gluten free.
- Inspired by Vegetables vegetarian & vegan food cooked with love from locally-grown or produced products
- Iqbal’s Samosas and Pakoras
- The Jam Lady
- Keeton’s Caribbean
- Lakeside Ethical Treats
- Lettices Isle of Wight based vegan cheese, meat & dip makers!
- Lindsey Whotton Arbonne Consultant
- Lush Nottingham
- Magpie Brewery – Hand crafted real ales, craft keg ales and ciders
- Mex It Up
- Mission Pizza
- Monica’s Caribbean Kitchen
- Moocylu’s DesignsVegan related pins, stickers, and more
- No Baloney UK
- Nottingham Animal Rights
- The Nottingham Soapbox All of our soaps are handmade in a Nottingham kitchen!
- Notts Nibblers Rodent Rescue
- Nutri2Go UK
- Pia’s Homestyle Curry and Indian Snacks
- Primary Gardens :
- Punk 4 The Homeless
- RawBite UK
- Raw/Vegan/Unrefined Chocolates by Luisa Guilt free chocolates!
- Roots Kitchen
- Sauce Shop
- Screaming Carrot Bakery Vegan bakery & wholefood shop in Forest Fields, Nottingham
- Skin Elixir
- Solace Creations
- Soul Song Therapies & Healing Centre – raw and hot chocolate elixirs
- Stewarts of Trent Bridge – Nottingham Coffee Roasters at Sneinton Market
- Stripey Beetroot – hot & cold catering for all occasions by a small Nottingham-based business
- SUNU KËR natural vegan hair & beauty products & handmade accessories inspired by West Africa
- Superchocs vegan novelty chocolates
- Tornado Potato
- Totally VeganVegan cafe & caterer from Coventry
- Tropic Skincare with Joanne – Nottingham
- Tropic Vegan Skin Care – Deirdre Westwood, cosmetics and body care
- Truffle Pig
- Twisted Teas
- Unless – Hardcore Vegan Catering based in Derby :
- The V Spot Vegan Shop(was Bluebird Wholefoods)
- Vegan Cakery award winning cakes from Leicester
- Vegan GrindhouseVegan gourmet street food and snacks :
- Vegan Junk
- Vegan Pizza Co
- Veggies Catering CampaignVegan Campaign Catering since 1984 :
- Verna Poppy DesignsVegan artist
- v:gdVegan Gluten Free Desserts :
- Vikki Welch, Independent Consultant, Arbonne International
- Vie for Vegan
- Vork Pie – Handmade Vegan and Vegetarian pies and snacks
- Willow and Dove – Handmade Sweet Treats – naturally free from dairy, gluten & egg
- Zymo Foods – Fermented foods produced in Nottingham
- Weleda Wellbeing Advisor Clare Heyting, North Nottinghamshire
- Weleda Wellbeing Advisor Elanor Shaw, Leicestershire