In a Nutshell:
– 🌺Awakening Compassion🌺 provides the public with free samples of plant based foods and extols the virtues of veganism as a healthy, sustainable and peaceful lifestyle. Come along – all welcome! 2-5pm, Saturdays – we love food/fund contributions – but not a necessity. Stay as long as you feel!
See below for more in depth info:
Do I have to bring anything?
– Just yourself is perfect! We are a free food stall and samples go fast so if you are able to bring something along – even a £1’s worth or less would be an enormous help! (I.e. plant milks, chocolate plant milks, crisps and confectionery, vegan meats and spreadable cheeses, etc). Just bob into Aldi, Tesco or Holland and Barrett on Market St on the day! Cooking and baking makes your money go further so is also an ideal option if you are a Domestic God/Goddess!
Do I have to stay for the whole 3 hours?
– Nope! Feel free to swing by and say “Hello!” whilst out and about, stay till the end or take breaks for drinks and snacks. It is your time to spend as you choose… We hope you’ll find the conversations so valuable to the public that the hours just melt away!
What do I have to do?
– Turn up! Your presence is our present. At the stall we invite you to celebrate veganism in your own unique way. Activists typically choose from a range of different tasks: holding signage, distributing leaflets, making sure the stall looks great, serving food, assisting the public and engaging in thought-provoking conversations. We would like to increase the size of the stall and have activists managing technology with vital videos exposing industry secrets. Video is a powerful impetus for change and one which The Cube (our sibling installation) uses to great effect. The Cube and Awakening Compassion run at the same time on a Saturday so we invite you to trial their stall, too! You will be amazed at its impact.
If you have more ideas for helping the public embrace veganism – just let us know and we’d be keen to give them a go!
What is Awakening Compassion?
– Awakening Compassion is a FREE food tasting outreach which focuses on engaging the public through dialogue, videos and resources. We dispel fears and misconceptions about veganism and communicate the truths of the animal agricultural and skins industries in an eye-opening but tactful manner. The realities of animal farming and production are often deeply disturbing but exposing the truths is essential to highlight alternatives and defund these abusive practices over time. We reject propositions to raise welfare standards (historically ineffective and routinely flouted) and believe in abolitionism (the idea that all sentient beings, humans or nonhumans, share a basic right: the right not to be treated as the property of others.)
Difficult Experiences/Final Notes:
– 99% of the time our conversations are informative, engaging* and respectful! People leave concerned for the well-being of animals but inspired and informed how to be the much needed change. Planting seeds and moving people along the spectrum of change.
Sometimes, however, we engage with the public and the information could be triggering or perhaps they bring their own colorful backdrop of learning difficulties or mental illness. Our intention is to be helpful and compassionate and so it is unfortunate if the discussion goes awry. The best conduct we have found is simply to focus on the good they are doing and steer away from difficult content. Plant a seed and move on to another all the while showing care for their well being. If you feel threatened or receive unsolicited criticism/unkind words from the public or a fellow activist let an organizer know at your earliest convenience. Your enjoyment and encouragement is a priority and we recognize how hard you all work. Keep up the amazing work – it’s making waves!
(*See Earthling Ed on Youtube & his Socratic Questioning method).